Sunday, July 19, 2009

ಅಜ್ಜಿ ಕಥೆಗಳು ತಾತನ ಸಂವಾದ

"Grand mothers' stories" are famous maxims. Grand mothers tell stories to to their grand children usually at nap time, some times when grand children gather around them for play or to get some entertainment. Usually they narrate funny and interesting stories like fairy tales or from epics to keep the tradition going.
I was wondering about the role of the grand fathers, similar to "Grand mothers' stories".
I could come across some thing similar in the e-mailing to grand children. I usually forward some useful items that may interest my grand daughter of 11 years. Normal replies from her would be 'cool'. Occasionally some queries come and I reply crisply. This time it became necessary to elaborate one phenomena. I thought that since she was internet-literate I would point out to a web - site for further reference. Yes that's it I am referring that conversation as the "grand fathers role"

Read the conversation here:


'This is ingenious' was the comment by one visitor to the web-site http://www.dezeen.com/2009/07/17/ink-calendar-by-oscar-diaz/

that's really cool! How does the ink spread? I didn't fully understand it.


Hi Medha,
Good question.
Capillary action is in attendance there!
What is capillary action?
Read the definitions here
http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Y9i&defl=en&q=define:capillary+action&ei=dNhjSrmlJtOZkQXVhqT1Dw&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title
Embossing creates boundaries for the capillaries, so that capillaries already and always existing in materials are grouped. One more point - density is inversely proportional to availability of capillaries in that material.
Still any doubt?
Get back to me.
Keep up inquisitive qualities.
Thatha
 


I was so impressed by my own reply and thought of blogging it. Here it is!

1 comment:

venka said...

Very interesting "Samvaada" indeed! I'll ask Medha to keep it going :-) And, hopefully Mihir will join soon.